Printed scores in first, early and deluxe editions - Gluck to Gershwin, Verdi to Varese: chamber music, solo and four-hand piano music, full scores, signed scores, operas, early American sheet music, etc. as well as some original 19th and 20th-century manuscripts and a selection of facsimile manuscripts (great for study, great for gifts).
- GIORDANO - FEDORA INSCRIBED TO MASSENET Giordano, Umberto (1867-1948) Fedora. [Vocal score] Edoardo Sonzogno: Milano, 1898. Pl.n: E 984 S. first edition of piano vocal score. Quarto. 259 pp. Bound in quarter-bound tan leather with marbled boards. Spine with gilt raised bands, gilt label, and embossed bands. Spine a bit rubbed. Beautifully bound and in excellent condition.SSC-13919 $850More Images/InquireInscribed to the French composer Jules Massenet on the half title page a year after the opera's premiere: A Massenet | omaggi di | U. Giordano | Milano 23 Dicembre 99.Fedora premiered in 1898 at the Teatro Lirico in Milan with Caruso in the lead tenor role. This first-edition piano-vocal score dates to the same year; it does not seem that a full orchestral score was published until decades later.
- Adami, Andrea, "Il Bolsena" Osservazioni per ben regolare il coro dei cantori della Cappella Pontificia [Rome, 1711] Libreria Musicale Italiana: Lucca, 1988. Quarto. 20 pp of facsimile. Cloth with d/j. As new. FAC-07368 $60Inquire
- Amat, Joan Carlos (1572-1642) Guitarra espanola Editions Chanterelle: Monte Carlo, 1980. Duodecimo. 56 pp. facsimile + 10-page commentary in English. Wrappers. As new. FAC-09460 $25InquireA facsimile of the 1761 edition of the Castillan method which first appeared c. 1596 and was probably the earliest method showing how to play the five-course guitar in the strummed style.
- AMERICAN SIGNED SCORES - GROUP OF TEN Ten first-edition signed scores by American composers. FIRST EDITIONS. Excellent condition overall. See additional notes below.SSC-15080 $350InquireTen first-edition scores, all inscribed and signed by the composers:
Arnold, Malcom. Divertimento for Flute, Oboe and Clarinet. Op. 37. Carl Fischer: New York, 1967. Quarto. 11 pp. Wrappers. As new.
Bacon, Ernst. Quiet Airs. Syracuse University Press: 1952. Quarto. 23 pp. Wrappers. Pin hole on top of front cover; otherwise fine. Together with one-page autograph letter from the composer to the dedicatee.
Baron, Maurice. Variations On L'Amour de Moy (15th Century) for Grand Orchestra. Fifth Variation: Elegy for Violoncello, Flute and Harp (or Piano). Individual parts. M. Baron Company: New York, 1955. Quarto. 3 + 1 + 1 pp. Very good condition. Inscribed to New York Philharmonic concertmaster Mishel Piastro.
Cadman, Charles Wakefield. A Mad Empress Remembers: Tone Drama for Violoncello and Piano. Mills Music: New York, 1945. Quarto. 32 pp. Wrappers. Upper-right corner of cover torn and chip to bottom (not affecting). A little toned around edges, but otherwise fine.
Dubensky, Leone. Concerto in Re Minore per Violino e Orchestra. Piano reduction and solo violin part. Ricordi: Milan, 1951. Quarto. Wrappers. 35 + 16 pp. With former owner's signature on front cover and violin part, and his penciled fingerings to violin part. In very good condition.
Hadley, Henry. In Music's Praise, Op. 21. [Piano-vocal]. Oliver Ditson & Co.: Boston, 1900. First edition of piano-vocal score. Wrappers; decorative cover. Spine and cover ragged; front cover detached. Otherwise clean and good.
Jacobi, Frederick. Concertino for piano and string orchestra. Elkab-Vogel: Philadelphia, 1947. Wrappers. Front cover torn and detaching (not affecting inscription). Otherwise excellent.
Labunski, Felix. String Quartet No. 2. Study score. Cincinnati: Self-published, 1962. Octavo. 36 pp. Wrappers. Fine condition (front cover with creases at corners).
Laderman, Ezra. Stanzas for Chamber Orchestra. Oxford University Press: New York, 1968. Quarto. 89 pp. Wrappers. As new.
Thomson, Virgil. La Valse Grégorienne for voice and piano. New Music Society: New York, 1980. Quarto. Cover design by Pablo Picasso. As new.
- André, Johann Anton (1775-1842) Hymnus, Te Deum Laudamus, Musicam, quator vocibus humanis. Opus 60. Editio secundum manuscriptum originale. OffenbachII ad Moenum, c 1829 [as per WorldCat]. Pl.n: 5248. Probable first edition. Oblong quarto. 35 pp. Contemporary blue wrappers with beige paper title label. In very good condition with some minor foxing at margins, largely unaffecting. Embossed institutional stamp on front cover.MUS-15188 $75InquireAndré was a German composer who became best known as the purchaser of many of Mozart's original manuscripts in 1799. He thereafter established a publishing business that produced some highly regarded editions of Mozart's works.
- Arensky, Anton (1861-1906) Quatre Morceaux pour le Violon avec accompangement de Pian. Op. 30. No. 2: Sérénade; No. 3: Berceuse. P. Jurgenson: Moscow/Leipzig, [c 1900]. Pl.n: 19167 + 19168. Probable first edition. Large quarto. 7 pp. [vln part] + 7 pp. [pno part]. In good condition. Signature of former owner on title pages and piano part of the Sérénade. A few chips and minor tears at margins (none affecting). Otherwise a bit toned but fine.MUS-06353 $50More Images/InquirePublication date as per WorldCat.
- Arensky, Anton (1861-1906) Quintuor, D-dur, pour Piano, deux Violons, Alto et Violoncelle. Op. 51. Section Musicale des Editions d'Etat: Moscow, 1925. Pl.n: 25819. Apparent second edition. Octavo. 68 pp. [pno score]; 15 pp. [vln 1]; 12 pp. [vln 2]; 12 pp. [vla]; 12 pp. [vlc]. Original wraps with tape reinforcement at spine. All parts placed in a contemporary blue folder with handwritten sticker label at front. A good copy. Wraps with some minor chipping at edges and string parts with some minor marginal creasing. Music very clean throughout.MUS-06349 $85InquirePiano score and parts.
- Arensky, Anton (1861-1906) Trio, No. 2, pour Piano, Violon et Violoncelle. Op. 73. P. Jurgenson: Moscow, [1905, as per WorldCat]. Pl.n: 29912. first edition. Large quarto. 75 pp. [pno part]; 13 pp. [vln]; 13 pp. [vlc]. Original paper wraps. A very nice copy; music very clean. Some minor marginal spotting to final pages of cello part. Signature of former owner at top of wraps, title page, and cover pp. of vln/vlc parts.MUS-15540 $125InquirePiano score and parts.
- Ariosti, Attilio (1666-1729) Sei Lezioni per la Viola d'Amore, ridotte per il Violoncello o per la Viola e Fatto un Accompagnemente di Piano-Forte sull Basso Numerato da Alfred Piatti Alfred Piatti. Hill & Sons: London, 1897. Folio. 13 pp. Spine reinforced. Fine. MUS-06527 $25InquirePiano score alone.
- ARLEN - SIGNED GERSHWIN SCORE Gershwin, George (1898-1937) Concerto (in F). Composed for Piano and Orchestra, Transcribed for Two Pianos (Four Hands). Signed "Harold Arlen". Harms: New York, 1927. first edition. Small folio. 67 pp. Paper wraps. Overall a nice copy. Covers detached at fold; front with two small tears at right (not affecting). First and last pages beginning to detach. Tears to pp. 7, 13 (affecting, but music still legible). Some corners creased. Very occasional performance markings in red crayon, mostly concentrated on p. 65 (possibly Arlen's own).MUS-11151 $1,000More Images/InquireA wonderful association with two powerhouses of America’s Tin Pan Alley – Arlen and Gershwin
Harold Arlen, the songwriter of some of the most beloved American hit songs (“Get Happy”, “Over the Rainbow”, “Stormy Weather”, etc.), has distinctly signed the cover of his copy of George Gershwin’s Concerto in F. The score itself is quite scarce, this being a first edition scored for piano four hands and represents the first appearance of the work in print. The full orchestral score was not published until 1955.George Gershwin spent the summer of 1925 composing this concerto, which had been commissioned by conductor Walter Damrosch and the New York Symphony Orchestra. Seeking to prove his worth as an orchestrator (Rhapsody in Blue having been arranged by Ferde Grofé the year before), Gershwin orchestrated the concerto himself. It remains one of his most enduring large-scale works.
- Arnold, Samuel (1740-1802) and John O' Keefe The Agreeable Surprize. A Comick Opera in Two Acts. As performed at the Theatre Royal in the Hay-Market Harrison & Co.: London, . first edition. Quarto. 40 pp. Marbled paper wraps. A crisp and clean copy (excepting crease to magazine title page).MUS-11327 $200InquireA complete piano-vocal score in an altogether charming presentation.The Agreeable Surprize was a comic British play written in 1781 by John O'Keefe with music by Samuel Arnold; it figured among the most performed plays in London in the last quarter of the eighteenth century. This publication appeared in The Piano-Forte Magazine, Vol. 1, No. 1.
- Artok, Leo Junge Tänze: Short Modern Dances [for Piano] Schott: Mainz, 1928. Pl.n: 32182. Large quarto. 16 pp. Tiny chips off top left and bottom right edges of cover, small repaired tear to left bottom edge, otherwise very good and crisp.MUS-10059 $125InquireTen dances including Shimmy, Tango, Blues, etc. Fabulous art-deco cover - a colored lithograph by the esteemed German team of René Binder and Max Eichheim (Binder/Eichheim Presse), showing a stylized jazz musician playing a saxaphone.
- Artot, Joseph Alexandre (1815-1845) Souvenirs de Bellini. Fantaisie Brillante Pour Le Violon Avec Accompagnt. de Orchestre ou Quatuor ou Piano Dédiée à Son Altesse Impériale et Royale Madame la Grande Duchesse Hélene de Russie...Op: 4 Schott: Mainz, [1839-40]. Pl.n: 6170. Folio. 13+7 pp. Disbound. Paper reinforcement along binding and edges of pages, some creases from binding, otherwise, very good. MUS-09982 $50InquirePiano score and separate violin part.
- Auber, Daniel (1782-1871) L'Ambassadrice. Die Botschafterin von D.F.E. Auber. Auswahl beliebter Stücke als Potpourri für das Pianoforte allein. Schuberth & Niemeyer: Leipzig, Hamburg & Itzehoe, [c 1838]. Pl.n: 259. Engraved. Oblong quarto. 17 pp. Disbound. Overall in good condition. Toned throughout. Paper tape reinforcement at spine. Marginal tears to pp. 5 and 17 (neither affecting).MUS-14913 $30InquireA short piece based on Auber's comic opera L'Ambassadrice, premiered in 1836. This edition published in or about 1838, based on plate number.
- Auber, Daniel (1782-1871) Overture de la Muette de Portici par Auber arrangée en Quatuor pour Flute, Violin, Alto & Basso par Charles Zulehner Simrock: Bonn, . Pl.n: 2808. Folio. 5 + 3 + 3 + 3 pp. Fine. MUS-09874 $75InquireComplete set of parts.
- Auber, Daniel (1782-1871) Overture to the Celebrated Opera of Gustavus the Third or the Masked Ball as Performed at the Theatre Royal, Covent Garden [arranged for Piano and Flute] D'Almaine & Co.: London, [after 1834]. Pl.n: "Ov: Gustavus the Third". Folio. 11 + 2 pp. Disbound. MUS-06528 $50InquireSeparate piano and flute parts.
- BACH - MANUSCRIPT FACSIMILE Bach, Johann Sebastian (1685-1750) Inventionen und Sinfonien Peters: Leipzig, nd. Oblong small quarto. 61 pp. of facsimile + 1-page commentary by Georg Schuenenman. Vellum-simulated paper wraps. Overall fine except for chipped spine & two very small tears on bottom of cover.FAC-09464 $50Inquire
- Bach, August Wilhelm Vocal-Musik mit Begleitung der Orgel zu einer kirchlichen Todtenfeier. Bureau de Musique von C. F. Peters: Leipzig, [c 1833, as per plate number]. Pl.n: 2359. Engraved. Oblong quarto. 11 pp. Detached. Substantial edge wear, but not affecting. Penned note dated 1844 and "microfilmed" red stamp on dusty cover. A few minor stains, but music quite clean with deep impressions.MUS-15202 $35More Images/InquireThe text underlay in the choral portions of this score is quite unusual. As shown in the accompanying scan, where the text-setting is uniform, only the bass voice is given text underlay. The upper voices receive their own underlay only when their text-setting deviates from that of the bass.August Wilhelm Bach was not a relation of the famous Bachs of Leipzig. He was the director of the Royal Institute of Church Music in Berlin and wrote predominantly sacred music and works for keyboard.
- Bach, Carl Philipp Emanuel (1714-1788) Rondo comp. von Philipp Emanuel Bach. 1779. Schlesinger: Berlin, [c 1860]. Pl.n: S. 4927. Engraved. Quarto. 3 pp. Overall good. Dealer stamp to title page. Chipped around edges; ink transfer to music.MUS-12681 $20InquireIn the right-hand corner above the first stave is printed: Concertvortrag des Herrn Hans von Bülow.
Published in or about 1860, based on plate number.
- Bach, Johann Sebastian (1685-1750) Henry Lemoine: Paris, [after 1816]. Pl.n: O. 217/218. Oblong folio. 97 + 83 pp. Attractively stamped boards with some shelf wear on edges. Some smudges on WTC II title page, barely visible water stain on WTC I title page, otherwise very good. MUS-07304 $950InquireThe two books of the WTC are bound in reverse order, WTC II followed by WTC I, according to the order of the publisher's plate numbers (217 for II and 218 for I).
The publisher, Antoine Henry Lemoine, was the son of a noted Paris publisher and made a name for the firm under his leadership from 1816 as one of the leading publishers of Chopin, as well as publishing instructional materials, including Berlioz's orchestration treatise.
- Bach, Johann Sebastian (1685-1750) Cantata, BWV 14, "War Gott Nicht Mit Uns Diese Zeit" VEB Deutscher Verlag: Leipzig, 1971. Folio. 37 pp. of facsimile + 1 page of commentary (in German). Boards. Fine. FAC-00998 $60Inquire
- Bach, Johann Sebastian (1685-1750) Cantata, BWV 210, "O Holder Tag" VEB Deutscher Verlag: Leipzig, 1980. Folio. 24 pp. of facsimile + 4 pp. of commentary. Boards. Very good. FAC-01000 $50Inquire
- Bach, Johann Sebastian (1685-1750) Cantata, BWV 211, "Kaffeekantate" Vienna Philharmonic: Vienna, 1923. Large folio. 23 pp. of facsimile. Rice-paper covered boards. Spine defective, top of cover faded, else fine. FAC-01031 $175Inquire
- Bach, Johann Sebastian (1685-1750) Chorale Preludes, BWV 645, 648, 646, 647, 649, 650, 675, 676, 677, 680, 681, 704, "J.S. Bach's Chorale-Vorspiel für die Orgel mit einem und zwey Klavieren und Pedal. Erstes Heft" Breitkopf & Härtel: Leipzig, . Pl.n: "J. S. Bachs Choralvorsp. 1. H.". Quarto. 30 pp. Contemporary boards. Some crayon and pencilled performance marks in some of the preludes, signature and stamp of previous owners signature on cover and title page, minor foxing throughout, otherwise very good. MUS-07303 $750InquireBook I contents:
- [No. 1:] Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme [BWV 645]
- No. 2: Meine Selle erhebt den Herrn [BWV 648]
- No. 3: Wo soll ich fliehen hin, oder Auf meinen lieben Gott [BWV 646]
- No. 4: Wer nur den lieben Gott lässt walten [BWV 647]
- No. 5: Ach bleib bey uns Herr Iesu Christ [BWV 649]
- No. 6: Kommst du nun Jesu vom Himmel herunter [BWV 650]
- No. 7: Allein Gott in der Höh sey Ehr [BWV 675]
- No. 8: Allein Gott in her Höh sey Ehr [BWV 676]
- No. 9: Allein Gott in der Höh sey Ehr [BWV 677]
- No. 10: Wir gläuben All' an einen Gott [BWV 680]
- No. 11: Wir gläuben All' an einen Gott [BWV 681]
- No. 12: Lob sey dem allmächtigen Gott [BWV 704]
Cover and title page stamped "Biblioteca Landsbergiana."
- Bach, Johann Sebastian (1685-1750) Chorale Preludes, BWV 699, 769: V, 769: III, 769: IV, 700, 748, 684, 614, "J.S. Bach's Chorale-Vorspiel für die Orgel mit einem und zwey Klavieren und Pedal. Vierter Heft" Breitkopf & Härtel: Leipzig, . Pl.n: "J. S. Bach's Choralvorsp. 4. H.". Quarto. 24 pp. Stamp and signature from previous owners on cover and title page, pencilled performance markings in some preludes, minor foxing throughout, otherwise very good. MUS-07313 $750InquireBook 4 contents:
- No. 33: Nun komm' der Heiden Heiland [BWV 699]
- No. 34: Vom Himmel hoch da komm' ich her [BWV 769, var. V]
- No. 35: Vom Himmel hoch da komm' ich her - In alta maniera [BWV 769, var. III]
- No. 36: Vom Himmel hoch da komm' ich her - In un altra maniera [BWV 769, var. IV]
- No. 37: Vom Himmel hoch da komm' ich her [BWV 700]
- No. 38: Gott der Vater wohn' uns bey [BWV 748]
- No. 39: Christ unser Herr zum Jordan kam [BWV 684]
- No. 40: Das alte Jahr vergangen ist [BWV 614]
Cover and title page stamped "Biblioteca Landsbergiana," first page signed "Landsberg."
- Bach, Johann Sebastian (1685-1750) Clavier-Büchlein for W.F. Bach Yale University: New Haven Bound photocopy from Yale Library. Long oblong folio. 154 facsimile pp. Buckram. Fine. FAC-10127 $40InquireThis photocopy was made by Yale University, who owns the manuscript, prior to the one they published in 1959.
- Bach, Johann Sebastian (1685-1750) Faksimile-Reihe Bachscher Werke und Schriftstücke Bärenreiter: Kassel and Basel, 1955. Tall quarto. 10 facsimile pp. + 2 pp. commentary. Paper boards. Front and back covers cracked but firm with soiling. Spine ripped, interior fine. FAC-09901 $30Inquire
- Bach, Johann Sebastian (1685-1750) Keyboard Works: Chromatic Fantasy and Fugue, Various Fugues, Toccatas and Other Keyboard Works, "Compositions pour le Piano-Forte sans et avec accompagnement par Jean Sebastien Bach, Edition nouvelle...par Charles Czerny...Oeuvres complets Liv. 4" Bureau de Musique de C.F. Peters: Leipzig, . Pl.n: 2696. Folio. 99 pp. Disbound. Pencil marks throughout, foxing throughout, otherwise very good.MUS-07307 $350InquireTitle page portrait of Bach by Kneisel. Stamped "Biblioteca Landsbergian."
-Fantasie Chromatique, BWV 903
-Fugue Am, BWV 944, 2
-Fugue Em, BWV 914, 4
-Prélude et Fuge sur le nom de Bach, BWV 898
-Toccata et Fugue Fis m BWV 910
-Toccata et Fugue Cm, BWV 911
- Fantasie et Fugue Am, BWV 904
- Fantasie et Fugue B, BWV 907
- Fantasie et Fugue D, BWV 908
- Capriccio et Fugue sur le départ d'un ami, BWV 992
- Toccata et Fugue, Dm, BWV 913
- Partita 6, BWV 830
- Bach, Johann Sebastian (1685-1750) Keyboard Works: Partitas 1-5, BWV 825-29, Duets, BWV 802-05, "Compositions pour le Piano-Forte sans et avec accompagnement par Jean Sebastien Bach, Edition nouvelle...par Charles Czerny...Oeuvres complets Liv. 5" Bureau de Musique de C.F. Peters: Leipzig, . Pl.n: 2636. Folio. 99 pp. Disbound. Light stain on lower left of title page, light foxing throughout, otherwise very good. MUS-07308 $350InquireTitle page portrait by Kneisel. Stamped "Biblioteca Landsbergian."
- Bach, Johann Sebastian (1685-1750) Keyboard Works: Toccata per Cembalo, BWV 913; Fantaisie Chromatique, BWV 903; Fantaisie pour le Clavecin, BWV 906; XV Inventions Pour le Clavecin, BWV 772-86; Six Preludes á l'Usage des Commençants, BWV 933-38; VI Suites pour le Clavecin [French Suites], BWV 812-17; Exercices pour le Clavecin [Partitas], BWV 825-30 Bureau de Musique de C. F. Peters: Leipzig, [c 1814 - c 1827]. Early editions (more information below). Engraved. Oblong large quarto. 190 pp. Handsome modern blue marbled boards (replicating period German endpapers) with gilt stamped paper label at spine. A very attractive volume. A little foxing and bleedthrough; some minor manuscript markings on title pages. Otherwise a very clean copy, crisp and with deep impressions.MUS-07314 $1,500More Images/InquireThe publication information provided above applies to all of the pieces in this volume. Full contents include:
Toccata per Clavicembalo. No. 1. [BWV 913]. First edition, second issue. 11 pp. Pl.n. 52.
Fantaisie chromatique. [BWV 903; with fugue]. First edition, second issue. 15 pp. Pl.n. 74. [This does not appear to be the edition edited by Forkel's student, Griepenkrel, as it does not contain the notes purported to be by Bach himself.]
Fantasie pour le Clavecin. No. 1. [BWV 906; this version without fugue]. First edition, second issue. 4 pp. Pl.n. 137.
XV Inventions pour le Clavecin. (Nouvelle Edition). [BWV 772-778]. First edition, second issue. 15 pp. Pl.n. 51.
Six Preludes a l'Usage de Commençaut pour le Clavecin. [BWV 933-938]. First edition, second issue. 7 pp. Pl.n. 89.
VI Suites pour le Clavecin. Op. 1, Nos. 1-6. [BWV 812-817]. First edition, second issue. 42 pp. (Each suite 7 pp. and with individual title pages.) Pl.ns. 138; 161; 186; 227; 246; 247.
Exercices pour le Clavecin. Op. 1. Partie 1-6. [Clavierübung, Teil I, BWV 825-830]. 11 + 16 + 12 + 19 + 15 + 23 pp. (Each partita with separate title page.) Pl.ns. 66; 67; 68; 71; 72; 73.A note on the publication dates of these volumes:
In 1813, Carl Friedrich Peters acquired the publishing firm founded by Viennese musicians Franz Anton Hoffmeister and Ambrosius Kühnel. Hoffmeister and Kühnel had opened up shop in 1800, offering engraving services, printing old and new music, and selling musical instruments. Between 1801 and 1803 they issued a fourteen-volume collection of J. S. Bach's keyboard works with the editorial assistance of noted Bach biographer Johann Nicolaus Forkel. It was an unusual decision given the composer's relative obscurity at the time; their collection, in fact, included the first editions of some of Bach's music.
When Peters purchased the business, he renamed it after himself (using the imprint “Bureau de Musique C. F. Peters”) and began publishing new works by German composers. Among these novelties, though, were reprintings of Hoffmeister and Kühnel’s Bach keyboard edition, using their original plates. With the exception of the Exercices pour le Clavecin, the editions in this volume are those reprints and represent the second issues of first editions. (The Exercices, which constitute the set of partitas BWV 825-830, were first published in 1731 under Bach's own direction.)
(These editions are not to be confused with Peters's Bach editions of the 1830s and 1840s, which called upon the editorial assistance of Carl Czerny, among others, and were produced in response to the Bach revival. Those volumes use different plates and were issued when the business was controlled by Carl Friedrich Peters's successor, Carl Gotthelf Siegmund Böhme.)
- Bach, Johann Sebastian (1685-1750) Mass in B minor, BWV 232, "Hohe Messe in H moll" Insel Verlag: Leipzig, 1924. Limited edition of 550 (unnumbered). Tall folio. 190 facsimile pp. Full vellum binding with gold tooling. Fine. FAC-00992 $1,750Inquire
- Bach, Johann Sebastian (1685-1750) Mass in G, BWV 236 and Six Cantatas, BWV 101-06 (piano-vocal scores) Simrock: Bonn Oblong folio. 36 + 39 + 49 pp. Contemporary half leather, marbled boards, red leather embossed label, front cover detached, missing spine. A few pencilled dates of composition, otherwise very good. MUS-07298 $1,500InquireContents:
- Kirchen-Musik von Joh. Seb. Bach. Herausgegeben von Adolph Bernhard Marx, Clavierauszug, Iter Band [BWV 101-03], , FIRST EDITION. Engraved.
- Litaney von Martin Luther [Nimm von uns, Herr du Treuer Gott], BWV 101, 7pp., PN 2890.
- Herr! deine Augen sehen nach dem Glauben, BWV 102, 17pp., PN 2891.
- Ihr werdet weinen und heulen, aber die Welt wird sich freuen, BWV 103, 15pp., PN 2892.
- Kirchen-Musik von Joh. Seb. Bach. herausgegeben von Adolph Bernhard Marx, Clavierauszug, IIter Band [BWV 104-06], , FIRST EDITION. Engraved
- Du Hirte Israel! höre, BWV 104, 13pp., PN 2893.
- Herr! gehe nicht ins Gericht, BWV 105, 19pp., PN 2894.
- Gottes Zeit ist die allerbeste Zeit, BWV 106, 18pp., PN 2895.
- Messe No. 2 in G, für vier Singstimmen mit Orchester Begleitung...Clavierauszug von H. Gleichauf. [BWV 236], , 49pp., PN 2911. Lithographed.
- Kirchen-Musik von Joh. Seb. Bach. Herausgegeben von Adolph Bernhard Marx, Clavierauszug, Iter Band [BWV 101-03], , FIRST EDITION. Engraved.
- Bach, Johann Sebastian (1685-1750) Sonaten und partiten für violine allein Insel Verlag: Leipzig, 1958. Small octavo. 67 pp. Stiff boards. Excellent condition. FAC-13697 $65InquireForeword by Yehudi Menuhin
- Bach, Johann Sebastian (1685-1750) Vier Eingaben an den Rat der Stadt Leipzig. Vom 12., 13., 15. und 19. August 1736. Faksimile-Reihe Bachscher Werke und Schriftstücke Herausgegeben vom Bach-Archiv Leipzig. Band 6. VEB Deutscher Verlag: Leipzig, 1965. Folio. 4 pp. of facsimile + 4 pp. of commentary. Boards. Fine. FAC-01002 $25Inquire
- Bach, Johann Sebastian (1685-1750) Well-Tempered Clavier, Book II, BWV 870-93, "Le Clavecin bien Tempéré ou Préludes et Fugues dans tous le tons et demi-tons sur les Modes majeurs et mineurs par Jean Sebastien Bach, Edition nouvell...par Charles Czerny. Partie II" Bureau de Musique de C.F. Peters: Leipzig, . Pl.n: 2636. Folio. 99 pp. Disbound. Final leaf detached, occasional foxing, otherwise very good. MUS-07305 $350InquireTitle page portrait by Kneisel. Stamped "Biblioteca Landsbergiana." A copy of Book I of the same edition with no title page and with pages 1-12 replaced by blank manuscript paper is included.
- Balakirev, Mily (1836-1910) Islamey. Fantaisie orientale, pour Piano. Nouvelle édition, revue et corrigée par l'auteur. P. Jurgenson: Moscow, [1907, as per plate number]. Pl.n: 32419. Quarto. 19 pp. Original wraps (in Cyrillic). In excellent, crisp condition. Front wrapper with dealer stamp and signature of former owner dated Paris 1919. Dealer stamp also on title page and p. 3.MUS-15133 $100More Images/InquireBalakirev first wrote Islamey in 1869 and revised it in 1902. This is an early edition of the revised version. The work was a special favorite of Franz Liszt's.
- Balfe, Michael W. (1808-1870) Autograph Manuscript Sketch from the Opera "Rose of Castille" Signed "MW Balfe". Inscribed to "my pretty little aunt!!!!". Dec. 1851. Large manuscript paper (c 14.25" h x 9" w). 1 p. Overall very good condition, save for one torn corner at lower right not affecting text (creases from folds, two very slight tears on bottom edge and one on left edge).MAN-10961 $850InquireThe composer has elegantly penned 18 bars of music with lyrics and labeled it underneath as being "the first sketch of Convent Cell in Rose of Castille". The sketch is from the second act of the opera and is an aria sung by the lead, Queen Elvira, and is also known as "Of girlhood's happy days I dream." Balfe has dated the sketch 1851, which is a full 6 years prior to the premiere of the opera which was given on 29 October 1857, at the Lyceum Theatre, London.The influential Irish composer and singer, Michael W. Balfe, was certainly a most successful opera composer in the 19th century, now primarily remembered for The Bohemian Girl. He composed a number of operas for the Pyne-Harrison Company at Covent Garden, this being one of them and the most popular at the time. A baritone, he was also known for his excellent performances of Rossini roles, including Figaro in Barber of Seville and Papageno in the first English performance of Magic Flute.
Provenance: from an album started by Balfe and continued by the noted Victorian choral director Alfred Broughton who was the director and accompanist of the Leeds Festival.
- BAMPTON-SIGNED HOIBY SCORE Hoiby, Lee (1926-2011) The Scarf. [Vocal score] G. Schirmer: New York, 1959. Pl.n: 44439. first edition. Small quarto. 83 pp. Blue and red wraps. In excellent condition.SSC-06049 $75InquireSigned and dated 1973 by the noted American soprano Rose Bampton in blue ballpoint on the front cover.The Scarf, one of American composer Lee Hoiby's earliest efforts, was commissioned by the Curtis Institute of Music. (Hoiby had studied there with Menotti between 1948 and 1952.) The one-act opera premiered in Spoleto in 1958.
- Baron, Ernst Gottlieb (1696-1760) Fantasie für die Laute Breitkopf & Härtel: Leipzig, 1969. Oblong folio. 11 pp. of facsimile + 15-page transcription. Boards. Covers rubbed, otherwise very good. FAC-01836 $65InquireFacsimile of the 1757 printed editionIncludes Ferdinand Seidel: Menuetten für die Laute. I.
- Bartók, Béla (1881-1945) and Zoltán Kodály Hungarian Folksongs for Song with Piano Editio Musica Budapest: Budapest, 1970. No. 469. Large folio. 23 facsimile pp. + 12 pp. of commentary in English including a preface by Bartók & Kodály. Brown paper boards. Corners bumped, spine faded, otherwise very good. FAC-10795 $75InquireIncludes rough draft of the Felhívás (The Appeal).
- Bartók, Béla (1881-1945) and Zoltán Kodály Hungarian Folksongs for Voice with Piano Boosey & Hawkes: London, 1970. No. 9 of an edition of 400. Large folio. 23 facsimile pp. + 12 pp. of commentary in English including a preface by Bartók & Kodály. Beige silk boards with brown d/j. Dust jacket faded, otherwise as new. FAC-01778 $110InquireIncludes rough draft of the Felhívás (The Appeal).
- Baumbach, Friedrich (1753-1813) Air de trois Notes par I.I. Rousseau, avec la parodie allemande par Gotter, et 24. Variations pour le Clavecin ou le Pianoforte un Violon obligé et un Violoncello Jean Marino et Cie.: Berlin, . Octavo. 12 + 6 + 3 pp. Wrappers. Some shelf wear on title page, otherwise very good.MUS-06533 $275InquirePiano score and parts. Beautifully engraved title page vignette, including a quotation from Montagne. The Rousseau theme is composed of the notes G, A and B. The air's German translation is provided along with the original French. A rare complete set.
Baumbach was a composer and musician who was active in Hamburg in the 1780s and travelled to St. Petersburg, Riga and Moscow before settling in Leipzig in 1790. He composed chamber music and vocal and instrumental music for amateurs.
- BECKER LIBRARY - SIX AMERICAN SCORESSSC-15081 $175InquireA group of six scores formerly owned by American composer John Becker. Five signed by him Library John Becker on front cover or title page (indicated below with †); two with inscriptions to Becker from Paul Pisk and Wallingford Riegger (as described below):
†Cowell, Henry. Sunset-Rest. Two Songs for Low Voice. San Francisco: New Music Edition, [1938, as per WorldCat]. Apparent first edition. Quarto. 5 pp. Very good condition (a few tiny tears to edges).
†Ives, Charles. Fourth Violin Sonata. "Children's Day at the Camp Meeting." New York: Arrow Music Press, 1942. First edition of the revised version. Small quarto. 22 pp. Tiny stain to front cover; otherwise as new.
Pisk, Paul. Sonatina (Death Valley). Montevideo: Instituto Interamericano de Musicologia, 1944. Inscribed: For John Becker, June 1953, Paul A Pisk above first stave. FIRST EDITION. Quarto. 10 pp. Wraps. In good condition (wraps a bit worn at top edge).
†Pisk, Paul. Suite. (Oboe y Piano). Op. 60. Montevideo: Instituto Interamericano de Musicologia, 1952. FIRST EDITION. Quarto. 8 pp. Wraps. In good condition (wraps a bit worn at top edge).
†Riegger, Wallingford. Blue Voyage (After Conrad Aiken). Rhapsody For Piano. New York: G. Schirmer, 1929. Inscribed: Dr. John J. Becker, with cordial greetings from Wallingford Riegger. FIRST EDITION. Pl.n. 34399. Quarto. 11 pp. Wraps (detaching at fold). Good condition.
†Sprague, Charles. The Indians. | Morris, Maurice. Ann Street.
No publication information. Bound together with an unattributed piece for solo piano titled The New River. Brown wrappers. In good condition with a few penned performance markings.
- Becker, John J. (1886-1961) Soundpiece No. 4. Second String Quartet. New Music Edition: New York, 1948. first edition. Quarto. Original beige wrappers. In fine condition (excepting "Autograph copy" written in red felt-tip pen on front wrapper).SSC-07592 $35InquireInscribed on title page: To my dear friend Arthur with highest regards and great faith in his work. From John. / Arthur Cohn - John J. Becker / Jan. 1951 / New Years Day.Arthur Cohn was a publisher, conductor, composer, and orchestrator served as Director of Carl Fisher and was responsible for publishing many of Ives's works. He was also director of the Edwin Fleischer Collection in Philadelphia from 1934-1952.
- Bedos De Celles, François (1709-1779) L'Art du Facteur d'Orgues Bärenreiter: Kassel, 1934-'36. 4 volumes in 3. Covers detached and a few pages need to be inserted (needs binding), but an internally pristine copy with unopened pages. FAC-10012 $150Inquire
- BEER HALL AND ALCOHOL-RELATED SHEET MUSIC Four alcohol-related songs from the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries relating to beer and alcohol. 1870-1902. Large quarto. In very good condition overall. Minor defects noted below.MUS-15299 $150InquireIt might seem ironic that these songs were published just as the American temperance movement reached a critical mass, but German beer halls were hardly the target of temperance advocates -- in fact, beer halls were seen as a more wholesome alternative to the saloon. Well lit and spacious, the halls were centers for social mingling, entertainment and even family fun. The larger halls had dedicated areas for dining, games, concerts, and dancing. Lager beer, rather than hard liquor, was the choice drink.
The group of four nineteenth- and early-twentieth-century pieces of sheet music includes:
Two beer hall favorites by songwriter and music publisher Harry Von Tilzer, the second of which was commissioned by the beer company Anheuser-Busch in 1903:
"Down Where the Wurzburger Flows", by Vincant P. Bryan and Harry Von Tilzer. Harry Von Tilzer Music Publishing Co.: New York, 1902. 5 pp. Large quarto. Pages detached with some chips at right edge.
"Under the Anheuser Bush", by Andrew B. Sterling and Harry Von Tilzer. Harry Von Tilzer Music Publishing Co.: New York, 1903. 5 pp. Large Quarto. Tape at spine and a bit chipped at edges (not affecting). Small signature of former owner on cover.
A song in which a German soldier bemoans the loss of his girlfriend and his Schnapps:
"Corporeal Schnapps", by Henry C. Work. Root & Cady: Chicago, 1884. 5 pp. Disbound. Tear at bottom margin of all pages (affecting some marginal notes) and spotting throughout.
And a serio-comic song about the restorative powers of rock and rye, "the only cure that's sure":
"Rock & Rye", by Elmer Rapp. W. H. Ewald & Bro.: Jersey City, 1879. 5 pp. Large quarto. Engraved.
- Beethoven, Ludwig van (1770-1827) and Ferruccio Busoni (1866-1924) Beethoven-Busoni Kadenzen zu den Klavier-Konzerten Heinrichshofen's Verlag: Wilhelmshaven Pl.n: 798. Quarto. 27 pp. Beige paper wraps. Very good condition.MUS-12033 $40Inquire
- Beethoven, Ludwig van (1770-1827) Concerto for Violin and Orchestra, Op. 61, D Major, Konzert für Violine und Orchestre, D-dur Österreichische Nationalbibliothek Vienna: Graz, 1979. No. 293 of an edition of 1,000. Quarto. 260 pp, commentary by Franz Grasberger and forward by Wolfgang Schneiderhan in separate booklet. Half leather. As new, in linen slipcase. FAC-08447 $1,200Inquire